[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Huq

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 00:44:51 PDT 2016

SuStel voragh je, thank you for taking the time to reply.

jIH :
> chaHvaD malja' wIHuqlaHmeH Holchaj wIghojnISta'.
SuStel :
> I'm not entirely certain about the {-ta'} on {wIghojnIS}.
> If I say it as just {wIghojnIS} it seems to be exactly right.

I wondered about that as well. While I was trying to write this
sentence, my intention was to express the meaning that "in order to be
able to transact business, we needed (in the past) to learn their
language". I thought of omitting an aspect prefix on the {wIghojnIS},
but then I wondered if the meaning that something happened in the past
would still be expressed.

jIH :
> joghDaq Da'el net tuch ; meqmo' chaHvaD malja' boHuqlaHbe'. DaH naDevvo' yIDoH !
SuStel :
> Voragh pointed out that you don't need {-Daq} on {jogh}
> I'd say {DaH yImej} "now leave!" instead of {DaH naDevvo' yIDoH}, but that's just a matter
> of style.

I am glad to learn the proper use of {'el} ; with regards to the {DaH
naDevvo' yIDoH}, I wondered whether it would be correct or not, to
write it this way. I went ahead and wrote it like this, because I
decided to treat the {DoH}, as I would treat {jaH} and {ghoS}. I'm
happy to see that the {DaH naDevvo' yIDoH}, is a valid construction.

jIH :
> taghpa' noH, jIlma'vaD maHuqlaH ; DaH Qobqu'..
SuStel :
> Using {-qu'} remains correct, but {tlhoy} is so much nicer.

yes indeed. I have realized that a lot depends on the right word
appearing in one's mind at the right time. When you are a beginner,
because you lack a complete picture of the entire klingon vocabulary,
with which you haven't familiarized yourself with, you tend to forget
many wonderful words, which are able to beautifully express your
desired meaning. So, I will keep {tlhoy} in mind, as an alternative
for {-qu'}.

jIH :
> chetojtaHchugh, vaj latlh wIv wIghajbe'mo' cheraD 'ej HuqmeH chaw'lij
wIghang Do'Ha' 'e' DaqaSmoH.
SuStel :
> Can one {ghaj} a {wIv}? That's an English idiom; I'm not sure if it works in
> Klingon. Can one {ghang} "end prematurely (an event)" a {chaw'}?

I wondered about these too, while I was writing this sentence.. I
believe that a classic beginner difficulty in klingon, is knowing what
expressions work in klingon as they work in english. I guess it is a
difficulty, which one can overcome only by experience, and through
trial and error.

jIH :
> jaj 'oH DaHjaj'e' Heghpu' vavwI' 'ej DaSovbej ! DaHjaj malja' DaHuq
DaneH 'e' DangIl'a'. yavlI'Daq qaHoH ; yavvetlhDaq Dagho' ! pa' qaHoH
SuStel :
> That first sentence doesn't make sense to me. I assume it's the ANNIVERSARY
> of the day your father died?

While I was writing this sentence yesterday, I wanted to express that
"my father died today" ; but now that I read this sentence again, I
realized that indeed it is unspecified whether my father actually died
today, or that it is the anniversary of my father's death. Perhaps I
should have written something like "an hour ago my father died".

SuStel :
> I'm not happy with {yavlI'Daq} (anyway it should have {-lIj}, not {-lI'})

oh yes, you're so right ! I'm not happy about it either ! Believe me
when I say, that yesterday I was stuck on that part of the sentence
for nearly 45 minutes.. I was writing and deleting it, again and again
and I couldn't find a way to say properly the "I will kill you were
you stand". Finally I developed a headache and I wrote the {yavlI'Daq
qaHoH ; yavvetlhDaq Dagho' ! pa' qaHoH}.

Your suggestions of course are wonderful ! They are perfect ! And they
showed me how one can say the "I will kill you were you stand".
Actually there is a scene in ds9, where gowron says the "I would kill
you where you stand" to worf.

SuStel voragh je, thank you very much for replying and correcting me !

mayqel mIv Hurgh qunnoq
DaH DIHIvnIS DaH DIHIvlaHtaHvIS