[Tlhingan-hol] A tribute to the dark lord

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 07:40:05 PDT 2016

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh:
> As for the {-vIS} Okrand obviously violated a rule he gave us in TKD. Either he forgot, messed up, the actor messed up, or maybe there’s something highly unusual here,

This was from a scene in Star Trek VI. From what I understand, one of
the actors simply couldn't remember his line, and they had to shoot
the scene many times, leading MO to shorten some of the other actors'
lines to make it easier to reshoot. Despite that, the flubbed line was
still in the final cut, though.

This is the dialogue from that scene:

KERLA: DIHIvlaHtaHvIS DaH DIHIvnIS.
GENERAL #1: DIHIvbe'chugh qo'chajDaq toywI''a' DImoj.
GENERAL #2: [completely flubbed line]
AZETBUR: ghu'maj Dayajbe'law', Sa'.  notlh veS 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.
GENERAL #1: QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS.
AZETBUR: 'e' neHbe' vavoy.

(I wonder if Klingon is the constructed language with the highest
proportion of changes made to it due to film-making editorial demands,
or if other languages like Dothraki and Na'vi are similar?)