[Tlhingan-hol] A tribute to the dark lord

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 03:58:37 PDT 2016

Just as I was ready to move on, my sensors picked up the following
canon sentence :

QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS.

I knew of the existence of this sentence for quite some time, but I
never actually concerned myself with it, because until now I used to
shy away from the use of the ..law' ..puS construction. However, in
light of our recent reference to this construction, I made the mistake
of trying to analyze this sentence, and I'm saying mistake, because
this analysis messed me up.

First of all, I just noticed that in this phrase, the {-vIS} isn't
preceded by {-taH}. Can someone tell me why this is happening ? I
thought that in no case can one have the {-vIS}, without the {-taH}
preceding..

Moving on.. I thought that apart from the simplest form of ..law'
..puS, one could not combine this construction with anything else. I
thought that the only way one could use the klingon comparative
construction is A compared to B and that's it..

But in this canon example, we don't just have death is preferable to
life ; we have instead, A while something is happening is this/that
compared to B while something else is happening. So, I will ask.. Is
there some additional grammar with regards to the ..law' ..puS
construction, I'm obviously missing ?

mayqel mIv Hurgh qunnoq