[Tlhingan-hol] Sex and Gender in Klingon

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 08:22:52 PDT 2016

loghaD:
> First, a little note about precedent:
>
> I've been able to find one mention of same-sex relationships in the canon,
> namely an e-mail from Marc Okrand where he says "sister-in-law" can be
> translated as {be'nI' be'nal} or {loDnI' be'nal}, and likewise
> "brother-in-law" can be translated as {be'nI' loDnal} or {loDnI' loDnal}.
>
> It's not clarified if these expressions are actually in common use by
> Klingons, or if they were provided primarily for our benefit.

I had a chat with MO about {nga'chuq}. Informal chat, off the record,
so not officially canon, but he confirmed that all participants are in
the subject, which must be plural, and that the sex or gender of the
participants don't matter. (That is, it differs from the English sex
verbs in which the subject is the [active] giver and the object is the
[passive] recipient. Apparently, everyone involved in a Klingon sex
act are presumed to be equally active participants.)