[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tey'be'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 11 10:33:44 PST 2016

SuStel:
>> > It is said in TKD to be wrong to use those pronouns with {neH},
>> > but Okrand violates this rule a couple of times.

De;vID:
>> Aside from {'e' neHbe' vavoy} from ST:VI, what other examples are there?

SuStel:
> I can't find it now, but I'm sure there is one.

There's only one example I can find:

  yIntaH qIrq 'e' vIneH.  DaSwIj bIngDaq latlhpu' vItap.
  Kirk I want alive. The rest I will grind beneath my boot.
   (_Star Trek: Constellations_ (2006), p. 232)

qurgh suggested that this was a typo for {qIrq'e'}, but the comments fom the author's online annotations (http://www.allyngibson.net/st-const.html) suggest that was, in fact, a mistake by Okrand:

  Klingonese translation provided by Marc Okrand from my English:
  "Kirk I want alive. The rest I will grind beneath my boot."  Marc
  told me that literally the line is: "I want that Kirk keeps living.
  I will mash the others under my boot."

SuStel may be thinking of the adverbial {neH} "only, merely, just" + {-'e'} (topic):

  not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'
  Only fools have no fear. TKW

  Dung qo' pawDI' qeylIS qorDu' je ta''e' neH bop bommey.
  Upon reaching the upper world, no one could speak of
   anything, but the deeds of Kahless and his kin. PB

They certainly do sound alike, but don't violate the rule.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'