[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tey'be'

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Mar 9 18:16:22 PST 2016

> When I learned English, I was like... why do you just call
> everyone "uncle" and "aunt" or "cousin"? Then how do
> people know how they're related to you?

I had a similar experience. It was weird enough grouping my paternal aunt with my maternal ones, I found it downright frustrating reading a story about a kid and his/her grandmother and not knowing *which* grandmother.

Also, as much as I'd love to have Klingon words for "sibling" and "parent", I should confess that Swedish doesn't really have good words for "grandparent" or "parent's sibling". I mean, it's simple enough to construct one that would be unambiguously understood, but it sounds weird; if I need to say that my grandparents are coming over, I normally mention each of them in term, just as in Klingon I have to say {SoSwI' vavwI' je} or {be'nI'wI' loDnI'wI' je}.

By the way, in case anybody's wondering if there are any languages who have words for cousins, nieces and nephews similar to those of Klingon: There are!
http://ojibwe.lib.umn.edu/main-entry/odoozhimisan-nad

I am curious as to why Klingons group relatives the way they do. In human societies, people have often kept track of parallel and cross siblings to keep track of inheritances, or to keep their patrilineal and matrilineal lines nice and tidy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_and_cross_cousins

Perhaps Klingons keep track of this for similar reasons. Or perhaps it's related to some form of honor system; perhaps the standing of your {tey'} influences your own more than that of your {lor}. Perhaps that's why, as Maltz says, you're more likely to confide in the former than the latter.

jatlh yu'wI', 'urmo' tey'lI' qoplu'ta' qar'a'?
jatlh muvqangwI', ghobe'. lorwI' neH ghaH.
jatlh yu'wI', DaSjaj jumuv!