[Tlhingan-hol] Between us curses run like water

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 8 10:14:13 PST 2016

qunnoq:
> Could someone please tell me, what this proverb actually means ? I think
> it belongs in the holiday proverbs, however I can't understand its
> meaning.

It's one of the traditional toasts for Empire Union Day.  The five listed in "Power Klingon"  are:

Between us, curses run like water.
matay'DI' vIHtaHbogh bIQ rur mu'qaDmey.

May the Klingon Empire continue forever!
reH tlhIngan wo' taHjaj!

May the spirit of Kahless live within you!
SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj.

May you encounter Kahless in your dreams!
bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj.

Death before shame.
bItuHpa' bIHeghjaj.

> Does this mean that the curses we said to each other have been undone, and
> we are now friends, or that because we are friends we constantly curse
> each other ? Or does it mean something else ?[

I don't think the meaning was explained in the recording.  Possibly it is one of Kahless the Unforgettable sayings. (Does anyone remember?)

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'