[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SIjwI'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Mar 5 11:11:49 PST 2016

On 3/5/2016 11:21 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> QIj'egh vutwI'ma' 'e' wItlhobDI', Sojmaj vutbe'pu'mo' ghaH, SIjwI'Daj
> chIlpu' 'e' meq ghaH.
> when we requested that our cook explains himself because he hadn't
> cooked our food, he reasoned that he had lost his knife.

"Explain himself" is an English idiom. Just say {QIj vutwI'ma' 'e'
wItlhobDI'} "when we requested that our cook explain."

> SIjwI' Daleghbe' neH 'e' wIHar 'e' DapIHqu''a'
> do you really expect that we believe you only didn't see the knife ?

I'm not sure I understand what this sentence. There's nothing wrong with
the grammar, just the meaning.

> nepwI' SoH ! majach ! ..'ej SIjwI' 'uchpu' Sogh.
> you liar ! we shouted ! ..and the lieutenant grasped the knife.

Hmm. I'm not sure the {-pu'} is correct in this case. The lieutenant
didn't hold and complete holding the knife at this time, did he? Perhaps
{'uchchoH}?

> nuv, yIjot'eghchoH ! wIjatlh.. tlhIb neH vutma'. meqmo' DaHoHnISbe'.
> calm down man ! we told him.. our cook is only incompetent. you don't
> need to kill him for this reason.

"Calm down!" would be {yIjot'eghmoH}.

{jatlh} takes a "speech event" as its object, not a person. You can't
use the prefix trick in this case, because that only works for first-
and second-person objects. Say instead, {ghaHvaD majatlh} "we told him."

"For this reason" is, of course, {meqvammo'}.

> DaH, maHvaD pItSa' chab qemmeH vay' yIngeH neH.
> now, just send someone to bring us some pitsa.

Hee hee... Would that job be {pItSa' chab lupwI'}?

> 'ej maHvaD Hiq bIr je qem ghaH 'e' yIra' 'e' yIlIjbe' !
> and don't forget to command him that he brings cold beers for us too !

Technically, you can't put {je} after only one noun (phrase). Put it
after the verb instead.

    maHvaD HIq bIr qem je
    he also brings us cold alcohol

http://trimboli.name