[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nap

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 01:19:14 PST 2016

SuStel Qov je, thank you for taking the time to reply. As always your
input is valuable and much appreciated.

jIH:
> napmo' 'oH chab rur.
> simple as pie.
SuStel :
> I doubt Klingons use this idiom.

yes indeed ; I thought that this is definitely the case while I was
writing this sentence, 'a I decided to write it, because I wanted to
practice the creation of similes (if this is how they call them). As I
woke up this morning it came to mind that I could have written too :
{nap ; chab rur}.

jIH:
> jaghmeyma' DItojmeH Dujmaj wIchoH 'ej Duj napqu' rur 'oH 'e' wIchav.
> in order to deceive our enemies we changed our ship and we achieved
> that it resembles a very simple vessel.
SuStel:
> jaghpu'ma'
> Try leaving off the plural suffix when you don't need it to make clear the number of the noun.
> You also need a perfective suffix on {wIchoH}.

This confuses me a litlle ; ok, yes the chosen plural suffix was
wrong, and I should have used the {-pu'}. However if I wrote {jaghma'
DItojmeH}, wouldn't that translate to <in order to deceive our enemy>
? Of course we have the {DI-} but still, I can't shake the *feel* that
there is an "incompatibilty" between a word which is supposed to refer
to a plural word which precedes it, only to eventually find a singular
word in its place instead. I don't know if I'm making sense..
And of course the perfective.. I always forget the perfective..

jIH:
> napchugh qay'pu'ghach vaj DabammeH lo'laHbe' 'oH
> if a problem is simple, then in order to face it, it is worthless.
SuStel:
> I don't understand this sentence as a whole.
> Try using {-ghach} a little less
Qov:
> I second SuStel's recommendation to drop excess explicit plurals
> and dial back on -ghach.
> http://klingonska.org/canon/1994-09-holqed-03-3-a.txt

this will sound strange, but I didn't quite understand my sentence
too. I went ahead though and wrote it, in order to force myself revise
the grammar..

As far as the {-ghach}ing is concerned, I agree. Now that I'm thinking
of it, the {-ghach}ing resembles a bowl of french fries. You say "I
will eat only one", only to say "okay just another one".. and then
"another one too", until you've eaten the whole bowl. It is as
addictive and tempting as Sauron's ring, so I will indeed try to detox
myself from it, only using it in times of dire need, as for instance
when birds of prey decloak and start attaking (as it frequently
happens in nasa related threads..). In such cases I will be
{-ghach}ing the ghe'tor out of every klingon word I could possibly
think of.
And Qov, thanks for the article, I will read it soon.

SuStel:
> SuvwI'vaD lo'laHbe' may' nap
> a simple battle is worthless to a warrior
> simple battles are worthless to warriors

This confuses me ; how is it possible for the {SuvwI'vaD lo'laHbe'
may' nap} phrase to be both singular and plural at the same time ?

mayqel mIv Hurgh qunnoq
cars with automatic transmission are an abomination