[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngem

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Jan 31 13:35:13 PST 2016

It's tough sometimes when you're a beginner and there is so much grammar and
vocabulary out there, that when you try to write even a simple sentence you
get tangled up and can't get anything right. First off, the BG and the
'utlhpu' (ex BGs) all know this, and are eager to help you untangle it one
strand at a time, but a discussion I had with our current BG 'arHa made me
want to try something, to make it a little easier. Thanks to qurgh, here's
your word of the day ....

> From: qurgh lungqIj [mailto:qurgh at wizage.net]
> Klingon word: ngem
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: forest, woods
> Source: TKD (98 KE, 134 EK, 161 EK)

And here are some sentences using the word:

ngem ghIj puq.
puq ghIj ngem.
ngem leghvIp puq.

They are all grammatically correct, but different. Which child is brave with
respect to forests?

If this made you think about Klingon for a moment, reply, so that we know
whether it's worth spending time on.

I know beginners ask from time to time to see the word of the day used in a
sentence. The very best way for this to be done would be for the beginners
to make the sentences, because that's how you learn.  I guarantee there is
no beginner on this list who has made more mistakes in Klingon than I have.
Make it your goal for the year to make more mistakes in Klingon than I do,
and if you achieve it you will do better than someone who makes none, but
you'll have to write a lot of Klingon to keep up with me!

- Qov