[Tlhingan-hol] {-meH}ed nouns

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 09:40:41 PST 2016

It sounds like Okrand passed up a magnificent opportunity to speak on the difference between a direct and indirect object when he brought up the topic of indirect object. It’s a pity he never got around to that.

You might enjoy the term “retronym”, if you are not already familiar with it. “Analog watch” is a retronym, as is “cloth diaper”, or as you bring up, “silent movie”. It’s interesting that we chose to invent “silent movie” instead of keeping the term “talkie” that came out before “movie” changed its meaning entirely.

Add that an “analog computer” had a reason for being called “analog”, since voltage or amperage or some other measurable level of electricity served as an analog for the stuff the computer was measuring or controlling, but now “analog” added to any term simply means “not digital”.

As for recipient, I see your point, though the knife arguably is the recipient of the action of giving. The officer is the recipient of the knife, and the beneficiary of the action of giving.

If you hit the officer, then the officer is the recipient of the hitting… and if he likes it enough to think of himself as the beneficiary, then… well… This is a public forum, after all. chaq naDev puqpu’ tu’lu’.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv