[Tlhingan-hol] {-meH}ed nouns

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 01:50:27 PST 2016

Qov :

> lut! lut qon chu'wI'ma'. qep'a'Daq qalupmeH qaquchnISchugh vIruch.

hehehe ! no need to kidnap me though.. I will be happy to come willingly !

Qov :

> Put all the location nouns behind the -Daq.
> 1. You can't have nouns sitting around in front of an OVS unless
> they are
> timestamps or hidden behind a type-5

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Qov :

> It makes it sound like voragh and I jointly operate a group of
> ships, rather than we each pilot our own.

Indeed you're right ! Now that I think of it again, with a clear mind
after a good night's sleep, I realize that this sounds as if you and
voragh jointly command a group of ships.

Qov :

> I know Voragh answered this and you became happy, but imagine that a
> QongmeH Duj were a place where you went with your teddy bear and pillow
> in order to sleep. Why would you feel that it was stretching the meaning?
> Or you were guessing that "sleeper ship" was a metaphor of some sort.

My confusion here came from the fact, that by reading "sleeper ship",
I thought it as
some kind of secret/dormant ship, which would be activated/come into operation
when the need arose. Something like what in the movies is called
"sleeper agent".
Luckily, voragh explained this to me, so off to my pillow and teddy
bear ! hehehe

jIH :

> vIleghDI', jIja'egh *purpose clause* 'oH buvDaj'e'.

SuStel :

> We have canon of the object of {ja'} being either the person
> addressed or the thing told about. I think it's likely that
> the thing told about is the direct object and the person addressed
> is the indirect object, but both are "objects" and can thus be
> plugged into the object position.

So, this means I should write {vIleghDI', *purpose clause* 'oH
buvDaj'e', jIja'egh} ?

jIH :

> De' 'ut mulI'.
> they transmitted me the necessary data.

I'm very happy to hear that the prefix trick here is correct. However
I need to ask..
I placed the {De' 'ut} before the {mulI'} so as to fit it in the
object position. While
I was writing the sentence, I asked myself <what did they transmit me
?>, and since
the answer was <the necessary data>, I placed it before the {mulI'} ;
If I had placed it
after the {mulI'}, would that be wrong ? I just want to make certain.

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv :

> So, they sent the data to you, they didn’t receive the data from
> you, so you wanted {lab}, though you used {lI’}.

I definitely didn't know that. thanks

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv :

> Think about how confusing it would be if that verb with {-meH}
> describing a noun had an explicit subject and/or object. You’d
> have nouns scattered all over the place. It would be a confusing
> mess. It’s just not done.

This actually addresses one of the questions I had about using {-meH}ed nouns.
A question though I forgot to ask ; I was wondering.. The use {-meH}ed nouns,
couldn't result in confusion in the sentence ? Couldn't someone be
perplexed trying
to figure out, if it is a {-meH}ed noun or a purpose clause ? Of
course, if the reader
was advanced and experienced, he would be able to figure this out. If
it were though
an average reader ? So, now that you mentioned it and I'm thinking of
this again,
I understand that by adding prefixes to a {-meH}ed noun, confusion
could take place.

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv :

> It’s not spelled out in TKD because it’s one of those things
> Okrand didn’t sort out until after publication. He barely describes
> that a {-meH} clause can describe a noun. He doesn’t go into much
> detail. This is one of those things that have been discussed among
> several of us and Okrand at qep’a’ in the early years.

..and this is EXACTLY why I wrote the whole <{-meH}ed nouns decloaking in front
of my cube> story ! I felt that an unknown part of grammar, a part of
grammar I could
never have found on my own or suspected its existence, just appeared before me !
On one hand I am happy I learned it, on the other I'm wondering what
else is drifting
in the vastness of Klingon space, cloacked, undetectable to my
sensors.. And the most
ridiculous thing in this situation is I don't know, how to ask about
it ! How do I ask you
to explain to me, something I don't know its there ?

Anyway, thank you all for taking the time to explain all this to me.
So now, I will shout
in my bridge "tractor beam ! now !" -as shinzon shouted when he saw
picard and data
escaping the scimitar-.. I will definitely assimilate the ghe'tor out
of the {-meH}ed nouns..

cpt qunnoQ