[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: {-'e'} and {-bogh}

John R. Harness cartweel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 23:58:10 PST 2016

I think Qov and others have already made this clear, but I'll try my hand
at sentences anyway.

verengan HoHbogh be'Hom qu' vIparHa'. -> This could be either "I like the
fierce girl who killed the Ferengi" or "I like the Ferengi whom the fierce
girl killed."

To disambiguate:

verengan'e' HoHbogh be'Hom qu' vIparHa'. -> I like the Ferengi whom the
fierce girl killed."
verengan HoHbogh be'Hom'e' qu' vIparHa'. -> I like the fierce girl who
killed the Ferengi."

Now I'm thinking about verbs that could make the use of -e unnecessary (in
the right contexts), like...

jan chu'bogh HoD vIvuv. -> I respect the captain who activates the device.
This is clear because I'm probably not sitting around respecting a device,
whereas it is quite likely for me to respect a captain.

But what if I am trying to urge others to consider other options before
using The Bomb? Then I might reasonably say...

jan'e' chu'qangbogh HoD wIvuvjaj. -> Let us respect that device which the
captain is willing to activate!

This is a nifty little piece of grammar!

'arHa