[Tlhingan-hol] 19 new words to create

Jesse Manoogian boyfromtheabyss at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 12 22:53:23 PST 2016

.
>I also remember D?Armond complaining that Klingon lacked common words, like ?shoe?. When I pointed out to him that {waq} was the >Klingon word for shoe, he couldn?t believe that he had missed that. I couldn?t, either, because most of the time his vocabulary was >remarkably superior to mine.
>
>Anyway, I?m sure that the greatest contributing factor to the end of his speaking Klingon was that his father was the only person he >could communicate with using it. It was fun as a secret language, but consider the plight of immigrants where the children are bilingual >and the parents speak only their native tongue, while nobody in the community does so.
>
>Now, change that scene to one parent who speaks only English and the other who is bilingual and speaks English most of the time to >most people. The kid has very little reason to continue speaking Klingon.
Will, thank you for sharing this story. It was heartwarming to picture D'Armond's son gleefully laughing and smiling as he interacted with his father in Klingon.
I don't believe I know any Trekkies and I know few conlangers, so if I were to learn Klingon, enter my thirties, have children, and raise a son in English and Klingon, HE'D probably have no one else to speak it with either. :(
That is a sensible explanation, though. I have a friend who grew up in America to Armenian parents and forgot all her Armenian.