[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yutlhegh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 7 07:08:28 PST 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, January 07, 2016
>
> Klingon word: yutlhegh
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: spectrum, musical scale, range
> Source: Festival of the Spoken Nerd DVD

"For 'spectrum', Maltz said to use the word {yutlhegh}. This is really a (musical) scale, but the word can also be used for other sorts of ranges. Maltz, of course, never heard of a "Spectrum of Nerdiness," but he said it could be {qatru' yutlhegh} or {venwI' yutlhegh} or even {ventaHghach yutlhegh}. (Of the latter, Maltz said it made sense to him and was grammatical, but he didn't really like it.)" (MO to De'vID, 3/2015 < FOTSN)

{yu-bIm-'egh} is a mnemonic for the names of the first three Klingon notes; cp. do (doe), re (ray), mi (me), etc.  Cf. KGT p.73 for discussion.

PUN:
 "ewe" (a sheep, a female sheep...)?

--
Voragh