[Tlhingan-hol] 19 new words to create

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 02:19:22 PST 2016

Andrew:
> I read a lot of articles about Klingon stating that D'Armond's son rejected
> Klingon because it not only lacked words for things like "diaper", it even
> lacked things for "table". Was this criticism misplaced?

As Qov said, the reason for the rejection wasn't because Klingon
lacked vocabulary, it was because of its status among the people in
the child's environment.

I actually recall the word D'Armond and I used for "table". It was
{beQwI'} "thing which is flat". I don't recall the exact thing he said
to me, since this was many years ago, but he pointed in the area of a
food court and said something like, {Ha'! beQwI' retlh maba'!} "Let's
go, we'll sit next to a flat-thing" or something like that. I
understood that he meant a table more or less right away. The context
didn't allow for another interpretation: in the direction in which he
pointed, there was nothing but flat-things (tables) with seating
beside them.