[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: "shut up or I'll hit you"

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 08:04:06 PST 2016

Saying that these suffixes are generally used as well isn’t quite as strong as saying that they are required. I could see a mother whispering instructions to her hiding child when danger is near, {yItamtaH}, which doesn’t fit your saying it’s wrong to tell someone to *be* in a state. You already like {yItamchoH}. There are probably other exceptions as well.

My own suspicion is that forgetting to use {-eghmoH} on an imperative with a stative verb is like forgetting to use “whom” instead of “who” in English. Yes, it’s better form to use {-‘eghmoH}, but people will probably understand you quite well if you get it wrong, and except for on this list, probably nobody would give you a hard time about it. Hence, canon that breaks the rule.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv