[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: "shut up or I'll hit you"

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 06:30:09 PST 2016

Qov:
>> I thought of it, but the -choH seemed to mitigate the issue for me.  I
>> suppose it's because yItamchoH is canonical.
>>
>> Do you yourself think that yItamchoH should now be considered an error? I
>> think yItamchoH and yItam'eghmoH both say to do something, while *{yItam}
>> says to be something, and perhaps that doesn't sound like a command.

SuStel:
> I think {yItamchoH} should be considered a possible exception to the rule,
> which we know is occasionally broken. But I'm not prepared to take a stand
> on it one way or another.

{yItamchoH} is in TKD and also in the Klingon CD (which makes it
doubly canonical):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUwSJai1cps

KGT says: "Generally, when a verb describing a state of being (for
example, {tuj} "be hot") is used in the imperative form, the suffixes
{-'egh} (reflexive suffix) and {-moH} ("cause") are used as well".

I don't think these are contradictory. It's wrong to command someone
to *be* in a state. But {yItamchoH} is a command to *change* from a
prior state to a new one.