[Tlhingan-hol] Chewing gum

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 22 06:25:48 PST 2016

mayql qunenoS:
> > A little while ago, I was compiling my shopping list and of course I
> > was doing this in klingon. I wanted to buy chewing gum, so the need
> > came to describe this.
> > After some thinking, I decided to describe it as {yIvtaHmeH Hap}
> > <constant chewing matter>.

Lieven:
> to'waQ luyIv tlhInganpu'!
> Klingons chew ligament.
>
> see KGT for details.

Note the idiom: {to'waQ yIv} "chew ligament"

KGT 119:  This is an idiomatic way of saying "take some time to consider a matter." The origins of the phrase are unknown, but the imagery makes sense, since even with Klingon teeth, to chew ({yIv}) gummy ligament or tendon ({to'waQ}) takes longer than to chew most other types of food. The expression may be used as a command, as in {to'waQ yIyIv!} ("Chew ligament!"--that is, "Take your time thinking about it!") or as a statement, often with the verb suffix {-taH} ("continuous"), implying an ongoing activity, as in {to'waQ vIyIvtaH} ("I'm chewing ligament"--that is, "I'm in the process of taking my time considering the matter"). Though not necessarily derogatory, it is frequently used with negative connotations:  {to'waQ yIyIvQo'; DaH yIwuq!} ("Don't chew ligament; decide now!") or {HoD QaQbe' ghaH; reH to'waQ yIv} ("He/she is not a good captain").

Ligament is also good deep-fried:

KGT 191:  While tendon or ligament ({to'waQ}) that has been deep-fried is one of the few hot dishes enjoyed by most Klingons, burnt tendon is definitely a culinary gaffe.

  to'waQ meQ vutwI'
  The cook burns the tendon. KGT

  to'waQ mIQ vutwI'
  The cook deep-fries the tendon. KGT