[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chIm

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 02:25:39 PST 2016

Thank you for replying. With the help of your comments, 11 hours of
sleep (!), and a coffee so strong it could wake up the dead, I managed
to understand what my problem was ; I managed to identify the faulty
circuit in my tlhIngan engine.

Lets take a stroll down the obscure path of yesterday's mistake.. Walk with me..

I want to say <the sun was made to become black>, so I employ qIj. And
then I start thinking :

qIj jul = the sun is black
then I place {-choH} in order to express the <becomes>
qIjchoH jul = the sun becomes black

but now I want to express the <was made>, so I take the {-moH}, place
it on the {qIjchoH jul} produce {qIjchoHmoH jul} and think I got the
job done. Why ?

Because it is not so much the <be verb> that I do not understand ; It
is the -moH ! I realized (finally !) that the -moH means <someone
causes something to happen> ; when I placed it on the qIj, it gave the
meaning that someone <caused> something to be black. However I thought
that the -moH could also mean <something was caused to happen>, giving
to the whole construction a feel of passive voice, leading me to give
as the proper translation <the sun was made to become black>.

The faulty circuit was the misconception that all by itself the {-moH}
could mean {something was caused to happen} and not the correct
{someone causes something to happen}, therefore leading me to employ
the {-lu'} in case I wanted to have an unspecified subject.

So, I just ripped out the faulty component from my engine, threw it
out of an airlock and used it for target practice..

cpt qunnoq
peace is a lie, there is only passion