[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: {-mo'} noun suffix vs. {-mo'} verb suffix

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 18 13:32:48 PST 2016

On 2/18/2016 4:17 PM, lojmIttI'wI'nuv wrote:
> Okrand has explained that when a noun and a verb are spelled the same,
> it’s not the case that you are using a noun as a verb or vise versa. You
> can’t simply use nouns as verbs or verbs as nouns. {bach} (verb, shoot),
> and {bach} (noun, shot) are not the same word. They sound alike and in
> our notation, they are spelled the same, but one is a noun and one is a
> verb and they are definitely two different words.

I know he's said something like this, but did he say that pairs like
{bach} "shoot" and {bach} "shot" are always separate words, or did he
say you simply can't assume they're the same word? Where did he make
this statement?

In TKD we have "In Klingon, there are many instances of nouns and verbs
being identical in form (e.g., ta’ accomplishment, accomplish). It is
not known if all verbs can be used as nouns..." This uncertainty
suggests that it's at least possible that the two forms are in fact the
same word used in different ways.

Besides, lacking etymologies and written forms, what exactly does it
mean to say that they're NOT the same word?

> Notice that two different things can be identical to each other, but one
> thing is not identical unto itself.
>
> If I had a twin, we could be identical to each other.

Alternatively, all electrons are identical to each other, and
indistinguishable, and thus completely interchangeable. This has
important implications in particle physics:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identical_particles>

If you cannot tell me how the two words' derivations differ from each
other, or how their written forms came to be about, or anything that
would distinguish them from each other aside from being a noun or verb,
then arguing that they're not the same word has no meaning.

In other words, what difference does it make if I claim that the single
word {bach} can be used as a noun to mean "shot" or as a verb to mean
"shoot"?

http://trimboli.name