[Tlhingan-hol] wanI' ghangwI'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 16 08:02:31 PST 2016

On 2/16/2016 10:42 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
>> If you didn't use the prefix trick, this would be more obvious, since you'd use {jIHvaD vI-} instead of {mu-}.
>
> I don't understand this.. I can't find a way of re-writing the
> sentence {muraD vay' 'ej muchmeyvam mubejmoH}, by the use of {jIHvaD
> vI-}.

See TKD addendum section 6.8: Indirect objects. An indirect object may
be indicated with the {-vaD} suffix.

jIHvaD muchmeyvam bejmoH [vay']
[something] causes me to watch these presentations

Since the indirect object appears explicitly, there is no need to
indicate it with the verb prefix, so that can go back to agreeing with
the direct object.

Always remember, though, that {-vaD} means "beneficiary," not "indirect
object." An indirect object can usually be considered a beneficiary, but
sometimes a beneficiary is not an indirect object. For instance, in
{Qu'vaD lI' De'vam} "this information is useful for the mission,"
{Qu'vaD} is a beneficiary, but not an indirect object.

http://trimboli.name