[Tlhingan-hol] The ingenious thing in Klingon.

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 02:32:51 PST 2016

I would like to share these thoughts of mine, with regards to the most
important characteristic about thlIngan Hol.

I apologize in advance for my choice of words, but unfortunately I
have to use them in order to express my point..

If someone asked me "qunnoq, what do you find to be the most kick-ass
attribute in Klingon ?" I would be able to answer and say a lot of
things. However almost everything I would say, could be refuted..

If I said its use of suffixes, which reduces the clutter of writing a
buttload of words, one could say "there are other languages which
employ suffixes too". If I said its capital letters, then again
someone could say "this is a matter of personal taste, so who cares
?".

However, there is a single tlhIngan attribute which sets it apart from
every other languageqoq, and this very attribute is to me the biggest
achievement of Okrand. And this attribute is its sound.

Recently, I was watching the scene from Star Trek Into Darkness, where
Uhura talks to the Klingon and says the "because you care about honor,
and he has none". Just by hearing Uhura and the Klingon talk, I could
*feel* the adrenaline pumping in my veins ; I could *feel* tlhIngan
Hol calling me to battle ; I could *feel* my heart racing and somehow
telling me "grab your fucking betleH and go to battle".

Okrand managed to create the unique sound of a language, which by its
mere sound expresses the "no-bullshit warrior element", of an "I'm
gonna fuck you up real good" warrior race. The language of a race who
sees hell as a place where the dishonored go, the language of a race
who screams upon the death of a warrior to warn the ancestors that a
warrior takes his place among them.

No wonder, tlhIngan Hol lacks all the worthless terran niceties of
"hello, goodbye, please etc". Who would expect the Klingon who talked
to Uhura to use these frail words ? And who, who wouldn't know that
these words are lacking in klingon would expect them to exist, right
after he had heard the Klingon sound of <why should I care about
humans killing humans ?>.

Okrand managed to capture the warrior sound, and for that I believe he
created something unique ; for that I believe he is truly a genius.

toH ! nuqDaq 'oHtaH betleHwIj ?

cpt qunnoq
DaH DIHIvbe'chugh vaj qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a'pu' DImoj