[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nIq

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Feb 14 08:36:11 PST 2016

On 2/14/2016 10:46 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:

> be', bI'Ippu' 'e' vIqawchu' 'ej jIHvaD paSlogh DanIq 'e' Dalay'pu'.
> Woman, I remember clearly that you swore and promised that you would
> knit socks for me.

Careful! Type 7 suffixes are not allowed on the second verb of a
sentence-as-object construction. When the second verb seems to need
aspect, just drop the suffix.

(This is yet another rule that Okrand has broken on occasion. Some
people have trouble believing that he forgets the exceptions sometimes.)

> mejpa' SuvwI'pu' 'ej che'ronDaq jaH, Qo'noSDaq tlhIngan wo' Degh lunIq
> be'pu' 'ej HIpmeychajDaq lulan.
> Before the warriors left and went to the battlefield, at Qo'noS the
> women would weave the thlIngan emblem and place it on their uniforms.

{jaH} also needs a {-pa'} on it, since that is also something that
happens after the main sentence. {mejpa' SuvwI'pu' 'ej che'ronDaq
jaHpa'} "before the warriors leave and before they go to the battlefield"

Also note that the object of {jaH} can be the destination. {che'ron
jaHpa'} "before they go to the battlefield" is also acceptable.
Including {-Daq} is redundant, but not wrong, though it can also be
interpreted as "before they go (while they're at the battlefield)" as if
the "go"ing happens at the battlefield.

http://trimboli.name