[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 10:24:48 PST 2016

A slightly different can of worms...

I briefly considered proposing {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a' bop} as a chapter title,
and possible source for the shorter {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'}. However, if
{QamchIyDaq} MUST modify the verb, the sentence would mean something like
"At QamchIy, the chapter performs the action of being about a feast".
Presumably the chapter would perform a different action at Krotmag, or no
action at all.

That is not what the chapter title means. I think that's uncontroversial.

I have another proposal. I have no evidence to support it, and it feels
like grasping, but I'm going to put it out there.

What if N1-5 N2 is possible only at the start of a clause? In other words,
Klingons would understand {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'} as a noun phrase on its own,
but would reject using that noun phrase as the subject of a sentence
because N-5 has a stronger connection to a verb than it does to a noun.
(N-5 V) overrides any (N1-5 N2).

If we want to use a Chomskyan deep structure explanation, we start here:

1. *Dun QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'.
    The feast at QamchIy was wonderful. (ungrammatical).

At that point, the verb tells the noun to surrender its N-Daq and puts the
N-Daq in it's own cargo hold at the beginning of the sentence.

2. QamchIyDaq Dun 'uQ'a'.
   The feast at QamchIy was wonderful.

We might quibble about the semantics of sentence 2, but I think it works.

Now suppose we wanted to say something like "At QamchIy, the warrior by the
statue fought". In other words, there is some warrior by some statue, and
I'm saying that he fought once in QamchIy.

3. *QamchIyDaq Suvpu' HewDaq SuvwI'.

Now the verb says "All N-Daq belong to me! {HewDaq SuvwI'}, surrender yours
at once!" The verb takes {HewDaq} and tries to fit it in its cargo hold,
but the hold is full, so it jettisons one of the N-Daq. If we want to
express the idea, we have to recast the sentence.

4. HewDaq SuvwI' yIqel. QamchIyDaq Suvpu'.

Now consider the example from earlier, "I stroke the handle on the knife."

5. ?tajDaq ret'aq vIyach.

Again, the verb looks menacingly at the noun phrase and says, "{ret'aq}!
Surrender your {tajDaq} at once!" And {tajDaq} replies, "I am your loyal
servant; I've already put it in your cargo hold." The verb replies, "Very
well then. Carry on."

So that's my proposal. You can put o Type 5 on N1 as long as there's no
verb to claim the N1-5 for itself.

bI'reng