[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Fri Feb 12 09:44:05 PST 2016

Am 12.02.2016 um 16:28 schrieb lojmIttI'wI'nuv:
> I think there may be some confusion over the term “modify”.

Yes, I admit I may not using the correct terms to explain my thoughts on
this. What I had in mind with "modify" is literally what is the object
of the verb: the {tel SeHwI'} does {SeH} the {tel}. But the {wovmoHwI'}
does not {wovmoH} the {tel}. Therefore it's not a {tel wovmoHwI'} ... OR
it has an ambiguous meaning.

SWell, that happens in english as well I believe, for instance a screw
compressor: does it compress a screw, or is it made of screws?

> So, the word “wing” describes or identifies the controller. So, in
> grammatical terms {tel} is modifying {SeHwI’}, and this is a normal
> noun-noun genitive construction. It’s a “wing’s controller” or a
> “controller of the wing”.

Indeed.

> {telDaq wovmoHwI’} is different because of the {-Daq} suffix.

Yes, and different from the meaning in general. The "wing controller"
could be located on any part of the ship, but the wing lights are
mounted on the wings per definition. Perhaps that's what lead to this
kind of translation.

I can live with that kind of "exception". It's what makes the language
alive and interesting.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh