[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Thu Feb 11 20:57:32 PST 2016

> > And now I'm probably pouring gas on the fire, but why assume that the
> > missing X /follows/ {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'}? As long as we're debating
> > sentence fragments, why can't the phrase be {QamchIyDaq X 'uQ'a'}?
>
> A good question! Those proposing that there's a missing word should answer
> this.

Hmm. I'm happy with "People at the tables" as a title in English, even
though turning it into a sentence would require inserting "sit" after
"people" or something more complex before or after the phrase, so you'd
think I'd be okay with a fractured sentence fragment in Klingon, but
{QamchIyDaq X 'uQ'a'} isn't what comes to mind.

It's not so much that I think there's a missing word. Nothing is missing. I
have a context: {QamchIyDaq} and I have a thing: {'uQ'a'} and I can happily
accept that that thing in that context is what the chapter will be about.  I
guess if the context were {may'Daq} and the thing were {Subma'} I might
mentally expand it to {may'Daq lul Subma'}. I'll have to read the chapter to
find out what happens at the battle with respect to our hero.

So my answer to the specific question is "the sentence fragment doesn't
inspire me to think of such a sentence, but I wouldn't think someone was
broken if that was what occurred to them."

Titles are often ambiguous. I know I made many of the chapter headings in
nuq bop bom double entendres.

- Qov