[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:33:07 PST 2016

Let’s back up a step and look at the foundations of grammar in Klingon.

A lone verb can be a sentence. The prefix implies the number and gender of the subject and object. It’s all about the verbs.

If you want to be more specific in expressing meaning, the next most significant part of speech is the noun. Nouns require a relationship with the verb in order to be a part of the sentence. That relationship is revealed either by position (object or subject), or by a Type 5 noun suffix.

A noun phrase can stand in the place of a noun. One form of noun phrase is a noun-noun (genitive) construction. The link is revealed by position. The last noun in the sequence is the one with a relationship to the verb. That noun’s relationship to that verb is revealed by its position relative to the verb (object or subject), or by a Type 5 noun suffix.

So, if a noun has a Type 5 noun suffix, it is the noun with a relationship to the verb defined by that suffix. You can’t have a noun with a Type 5 suffix simultaneously having one relationship to the verb revealed by the Type 5 noun suffix, and also serving as part of a genitive noun-noun construction with a different noun that has its own independent relationship with that verb, defined by its position, or its own Type 5 noun suffix.

At that point, the gears gnash, and the clock stops ticking. Do this, and you break the grammar.

Type 5 noun suffixes link the nouns to VERBS. This breaks whatever relationship they might otherwise have with nouns following them.

It really is that simple.

Contrast this to the verb suffix {-meH}, which we are told can be used to make one verb modify a different verb (forming a dependent clause), or it can modify a noun (which has it’s own grammatical link to another verb). A verb with {-meH} can modify a noun or a verb.

A noun with a Type 5 suffix modifies a verb. It doesn’t modify anything else. It can’t. That’s not what Type 5 noun suffixes do.

Trees vs. chains? Okrand never talks about that. It helps to keep in mind that Klingon is all about the verbs, then nouns are added to give greater granularity and specificity of meaning, and the affixes and positioning establish the links between these nouns and verbs, and then we toss in some chuvmey for color.

Titles to stories, books, poems, and songs are a poor source for deriving the validity of grammatical rules. Consider Zardoz.

Okrand would probably be appalled if he knew the arguments that get started because of titles he creates.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv