[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaw'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 11 10:16:44 PST 2016

On 2/11/2016 1:07 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:

> Some years ago [I don't have the exact date] Seqram once usefully observed that:
>
>     as soon as you catch yourself saying... {'e' Xlu'}, immediately
>     start to think seriously about substituting {net X}.

Except if you're reciting a proverb with it, because proverbs get
special dispensation. {yay chavlu' 'e' bajnISlu'} "victory must be
earned" (TKW 126) apparently breaks the rule without explanation.

(Go ahead, list, tell me how I'm interpreting the rules for {net} wrong,
and the proverb is perfectly grammatical. I dare you.)

http://trimboli.name