[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 11 08:32:27 PST 2016

On 2/11/2016 11:26 AM, De'vID wrote:

> The introduction to TKD 3.4 says:
> "Some combinations of two (or more) nouns in a row are so common as to
> have become everyday words. These are the compound nouns (as discussed
> in section 3.2.1). In addition, it is possible to combine nouns in the
> manner of a compound noun to produce a new construct even if it is not
> a legitimate compound noun ("legitimate" in the sense that it would be
> found in a dictionary)."
>
> The intent of that section is clearly to describe something which can
> take the place of a simple noun in a sentence.

I disagree. Nothing in that section restricts the meaning of the
noun-noun to sentences, or claims that noun-nouns are formed especially
for sentences.

If I want to stick a post-it on my computer monitor, labeling it {De'wI'
jIH}, I have no sentence in mind, yet the noun-noun remains. It's a
{jIH}, and {De'wI'} explains what kind of {jIH} it is.

http://www.trimboli.name/