[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 11:07:16 PST 2016

First, I appreciate the work you put into this. It’s good to see people still delving into the grammar after all these years.

But I can’t quite buy into your expansion of the definition of a “compound noun”. Okrand seems to have come up with the term to describe single words that contain two or more nouns, like the example in TKD of {jolpa’}. That’s not just the occasional pair of nouns placed next to each other. I tend to think of compound nouns as associated nouns, perhaps in the past placed as a noun-noun construction, and over time fossilized to become a single noun.

I’ve never read this as license for us to make up our own compound nouns, as much as an explanation for why the vocabulary already has nouns that appear to be composed of multiple nouns mashed together. His English example “earthworm” is a fine example. Perhaps there was a day when we used separated words “earth worm” to differentiate the type of worm that burrows through the dirt from those that live in dead meat or intestines, or subcutaneous worms, or worms in vegetables or flowers, etc. But it’s been a very long time since people have said “dirt worm”, which is exactly as meaningful as “earth worm” as a pair of words. But “earthworm” has a reliable meaning that is more specific and definite than the simple pair of words together.

As for your aversion to considering noun-noun-noun as a “chain”, I don’t have a problem with it. Regardless of the placement of parenthesis, there is a hierarchy of membership in terms of the association between the nouns in a noun-noun construction. There’s a difference between a captain’s sword and a sword’s captain. There’s a difference between a ship’s captain and a captain’s ship.

Noun-noun-noun is not so different from a ship’s captain’s sword, which is different from a ship’s sword’s captain or a sword’s ship’s captain. The order of the words makes all the earlier nouns descriptor’s of the last noun, in Klingon or English, and since it’s that last noun that has a grammatical role in the sentence, that’s the one that reveal’s that role with a Type 5 noun suffix.

Let me reveal what I suspect is the reason for this rule:

yaH Qu’mo’ HoD DujDaq HoD no’vo' SuvI’ yaSvaD taj nob HoD.

There’s nothing really confusing about this sentence because with this rule, we know that the Type 5 noun suffixes each tell you what each noun is doing that has a Type 5 suffix, and we know that those that don’t are nouns that tell us something about the nouns that do.

yaH Qu’mo’ — {yaH} does not have a grammatical function in the larger sentence. It is the first noun of the noun noun construction. It tells you what mission. It’s the officer’s mission. The mission is the reason the main action takes place. The officer is not the reason the action takes place. The officer merely helps you identify what mission is the reason for the action.

HoD DujDaq — {HoD} does not have a grammatical function in the larger sentence. The location is that of the captain’s ship. The action happens on the ship. The action doesn’t happen on or at the captain. The captain merely identifies which ship the action occurs on.

HoD no’vo’ — The sword is not from the captain. The sword is from the captain’s ancestors. The captain identifies the ancestors, since there are so many to choose from…

SuvwI’ yaSvaD — The sword is given to the warrior’s officer. It’s not given the warrior. The warrior merely helps to describe or identify the officer.

taj nob HoD. — The captain gives a sword.

We can make up lots of examples like this, and use noun-noun-noun constructions if you like, but always the single noun at the end of the list is the one that is being described or identified by the previous ones, and that’s the only one that has a grammatical function in the sentence that needs to be identified with a Type 5 noun suffix.

The title we’ve been given {QamchIyDaq ‘uQ’a'} is not problematic because it is not a sentence. QamchIyDaq is a place and {‘uQ’a’} is a thing at that place. What is the problem? Since there is no verb, there is no confusion over grammatical function in the sentence. It would be perfectly fine as a sentence, as in:

QamchIyDaq ‘uQ’a’ vISop.

Nobody would interpret {QamchIyDaq ‘uQ’a’} as a noun-noun construction in that sentence. They’d see {QamchIyDaq} as a locative, and {‘uQ’a’} as a direct object of {Sop}.

I completely agree that this is not a noun-noun construction with a Type 5 suffix on the first noun. It would be gibberish if it were. It’s not that it violates the rule. It DOESN’T violate the rule because it’s not a noun-noun construction. It’s just two nouns, not in a sentence. The whole reason for a noun-noun grammatical construction as described in TKD is to tell you that the last noun in the series has a grammatical function in the surrounding sentence, while the earlier nouns in the list merely describe or identify the last noun.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv