[Tlhingan-hol] Ca'non pIn'a' QaHlIj vIneH !

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Feb 8 06:27:51 PST 2016

On 2/6/2016 6:07 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> Could you please post any canon sentences, which utilize
> simultaneously an adverb and a type 5 suffixed noun, so as to settle
> this confusion and put my mind at ease ?

I can't think of an example that unambiguously answers your question. We
do have something close, however:

    HaqwI''e' DaH yISam
    find the SURGEON now! (TKD Addendum §6.7)

Here we are told that the object noun has been topicalized, so is this
an instance of special grammar, or is it an instance of using existing
grammar to produce a grammatical effect (and to explain a line in Star
Trek VI)?

After all, this can simply be interpreted as:

    HaqwI''e' DaH [ghaH] yISam
    as for the surgeon, find him now!

This section exists in the addendum in part because of a line uttered by
Gorkon in Star Trek VI (whose pronunciation I will be generous to):

    chang'e' DaH Sam
    Find Chang now!

Given these examples, I must conclude that we have good, but still
inconclusive, evidence that <syntactic noun> <adverbial> <OVS> is an
acceptable sentence order. We don't know that other orders aren't
acceptable, and searching for this kind of thing among canon isn't easy
unless you already know where to find it. If anyone knows of an example
I haven't thought of, please post it.

http://trimboli.name