[Tlhingan-hol] Interesting {je}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 4 10:44:57 PST 2016

On 2/4/2016 1:32 PM, André Müller wrote:
> The {je} here isn't used as a conjunction, but as an adverb following
> the verb. In that usage it means "and".
>
> Literally the sentences mean:
> "When you abandoned me at Kri'stak, I was alive.
> I am also alive now.
> I suggest to you."

But it's not an adverbial. As has been recently pointed out to me, it's
described in TKD only as a noun conjunction. We're given the example
{qaleghpu' je}, and we're told that it means either "I and others saw
you" or "I saw you and others." It is not said to mean "In addition to
the other thing I did, I saw you."

In other words, it's conjoining the nouns or pronouns of this sentence
with some of those of a previous sentence using the same or a similar
verb. For example,

    qeylIS legh molor
    Molor sees Kahless

    moratlh legh je
    He sees Morath as well as Kahless

    qeylIS legh je luqara'
    Lukara, as well as Molor, see Kahless

TKD is not clear whether {je} would go after the {legh} or the {luqara'}
here, or whether you can even have an explicit subject when using {je}
in this way.

 > There are lots of examples of such usage in canon.

Such as? I haven't been able to find any that aren't of the sort
described in TKD.

http://trimboli.name