[Tlhingan-hol] Duolingo

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 09:37:16 PST 2016

Felix and I started working on the Klingon course last year around Easter,
if I remember correctly. I was very eager in helping with the course and
designing sentences and a course structure and deciding which words to
introduce first, etc.
We both worked on the course for a couple of weeks, but then I got involved
in my PhD work so much that I had to give up contributing altogether. It's
sad. I wish I could help complete it and I'm receiving comments from people
asking when the course will be finished all the time. Other people will
have to do that now...

By the way, it's not true at all the the Esperantists want Esperanto to be
the only constructed language on Duolingo. It's generally true that Klingon
is looked down upon by many, because many think that it somehow(?) takes
away the chance for other "real" languages, like Japanese or Basque, to be
included. Also many Esperantists don't see any sense in Klingon. But I
haven't read any argument by them opposing Klingon because there should
only be natural language plus Esperanto. I'm sure many would try
Interlingua, Volapük, Toki Pona, Lojban, Sindarin or even Ido, if Duolingo
provided them.
Actually a lot of Esperantists are interested in learning Klingon. Many are
curious.

When (if) the course gets finished and is if high quality, then this will
mean a large influx of learners, some of which will indeed want to improve
further. Duolingo shouldn't be underestimated!

mIyanmavo' Savan,
- André (aka "Vortarulo" on Duolingo and elsewhere)