[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIng

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:22:59 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 12:18 PM, lojmIttI'wI'nuv <lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just to put all readers on the same page: In English, a restrictive
> relative clause is one that identifies a noun as unique from others of the
> same name, like “I want a sword that can pass through the torso of a
> prisoner in one swipe.” What is the sword that I want? I exclusively want
> one that can pass through a prisoner in one swipe. The relative clause
> identifies the noun. The set of all swords is restricted to include only
> those that satisfy the description of the clause.

[...]
> “The dog which is running” would be descriptive in English (and
> technically should have a comma). “The cat that is sleeping” would be
> restrictive in English.

I don't want to hijack this thread to debate a point of English grammar,
but since lojmIt tI'wI' nuv is explaining a point of English grammar for
non-native speakers, I feel compelled to add these notes:

   - Most English speakers use "which" and "that" interchangeably.
   - To communicate whether they're using the words descriptively or
   restrictively, they rely on cadence and intonation rather than word choice.
   - Even highly educated English speakers will disagree about whether
   "which" and "that" have any real difference in meaning.

Sorry to interrupt.

bI'reng