[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Ha'on

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 3 11:11:37 PST 2016

>> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, February 03, 2016
>>
>> Klingon word: Ha'on
>> Part of speech: noun
>> Definition: staple
>> Source: qepHom 2015 p.18

From Lieven's interview with Marc Okrand (posted on 10/29/2015):

A stapler is a {Ha'on vevwI'}. The staple, the little metal thing, is called {baS Ha'on} or just {Ha'on}. The verb {vev} means "insert, put in", so the stapler is literally a device that "puts in" the staple ({Ha'on}) into the paper.

LL: If the object of {vev} are the staples, where would I put the paper into the sentence? It seems to be called a "staple-inserter", not a "paper-stapler"...

MO: That's true; the result is that it's stapling paper together, but what it's really doing is sticking a staple into the papers.

LL: So how do I say "staple the sheets "?

MO: To "staple" papers together is to {rar} them. To use a stapler or hole punch ("perforator, hole punch" {nIqDob}), you {qIp} it or {'uy} it or {ngaH} ("squeeze") it, depending on the device. But Maltz said that doesn't mean "squeeze" like squeezing into a tight space. That verb is {qoch}. (The object of this verb is the space -- like a small car or a crowded elevator -- being squeezed into, and this includes clothes or shoes that are too small.) For squeezing a toothpaste tube or for squeezing an orange, he said the verb is {ngaH}. The hole punch will {ghID} ("pierce, perforate") the paper (or other material).

LL: Can {ghID} also mean perforate a paper with a tooth pick or similar?

MO: Yes, of course.

From: mayql qunenoS:
> nImDaq, muvoQmeH verengan Ha'DIbaH puqloDvetlh, Ha'onmey woD.
> In order to choke me, that ferengi son of a @!@!, threw the
> staples in my milk.

I'd rearrange this as:

muvoQmeH, nImDaq Ha'onmey woD verengan Ha'DIbaH puqloDvetlh.

or

muvoQmeH verengan Ha'DIbaH puqloDvetlh, nImDaq Ha'onmey woD.

or

verengan Ha'DIbaH puqloDvetlh'e', muvoQmeH nImDaq Ha'onmey woD!

or even

verengan Ha'DIbaH puqloDvetlh'e', nImDaq Ha'onmey woD muvoQmeH!

The dependent clause shouldn't interrupt the OVS sequence.

I'm not sure {Ha'DIbaH puqloDvetlh} "that son of an animal" is sufficiently strong in Klingon.  {petaQ} *p'takh* usually covers this idea.  If you want something even stronger, we have {petaQ'a' SoH} "You dirty *p'takh*" from the paq'batlh.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'