[Tlhingan-hol] Liquid Nitrogen

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 05:44:28 PDT 2016

On 5 August 2016 at 11:27, Fiat Knox <fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> So, now we know that betgham means liquid (n). Does that mean we can now use
> a noun-noun construction and officially call liquid nitrogen *betgham
> voQSIp?* Ditto for, say, liquid oxygen, liquid hydrogen and liquid gold?

I doubt it, since "liquid" in "liquid oxygen" is not a noun but an adjective.

{betgham voQSIp} would seem to me to mean "liquid nitrogen" as in "the
nitrogen which is present in this liquid" rather than "nitrogen in
liquid form".

"The liquid's nitrogen" or "nitrogen of the liquid" would be other
ways of putting it.

A bit like how I interpret {nuH pegh} (the TKD example) not as a
weapon secret (one concerning a weapon) but as a particular weapon's
secret.

And indeed TKD, says that "N1-N2 (that is, noun #1 followed by noun
#2) would be <N2 of the N1.>", so {betgham voQSIp} would be something
like "nitrogen of the liquid".

Cheers,
Philip