[Tlhingan-hol] Communicating in Klingon

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Fri Apr 29 22:55:49 PDT 2016

Heard of: many times. Witnessed, or heard such a story that was believable:
never.

You have to know English, Portuguese, German, Italian or Czech to access
Klingon at all, and an online conversation I had with an Italian learner who
did not speak English showed that the dictionary had some serious
translation problems.

When I attended Quvar qep'a' in Germany I refused to speak English to
anyone, forcing them to put together sentences out of their Klingon-German
dictionaries, or using the phrasebook handout Lieven had provided. Other
than Quvar himself, none of the native German speakers was very advanced in
Klingon, but I very much doubt that I conversed with anyone who did not
speak enough of English, French or Russian to have a more comfortable
conversation with me. Even if they didn't, I know as many as a hundred
German words, and my native language has Germanic grammar, so I could
probably have made myself understood ore quickly in German if that was the
case.

SaarbruckenDaq Sar'a' QImey? HIja', 'a QI'mey Saar Delbe' veng pong.
no'HolchajvaD puH yIQ 'oS bruck. bIQtIq 'oH Saar'e'.

- Qov