[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon poetry book

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 29 10:15:22 PDT 2016

ghItlhpu' Quvar, jatlh:
> Has anyone ever heard of this "Klingon Poetry Book", or the one who
> wrote it?

No, I wasn't familiar with it before you brought it up.

taH:
> It's not perfect klingon, but pretty well done.

It's well *presented*, but in truth, the Klingon itself is pretty awful. I tried to read {Ha'DIbaH' noH} [sic] and couldn't get anything meaningful from the Klingon at all. It's not Bingon, but it's incomprehensible, even allowing for poetic licence; I could forgive things like *{wIchIrgh} or *{wewmey} in the hands of someone who otherwise knew what they were doing, but there's almost no sign of proper syntax at all. It's an honest effort, but shows little understanding of Klingon grammar. The word order seems to follow the English closely, as in this example:

(1)vaj (2)tlhIHqanglaH (3)chaw'ta' (4)tIlegh (5)paghmey (6)je (7)tu' (8)wewmey (9)largh (10)yIn
"(1)Then (2)you'll be (3)allowed to (4)see into (5)nothings (6)and (7)find (8)glowing (9)breathing (10)life."

Though I admit, there is the single striking exception that he does seem to use the no' Hol apostrophe, as in {paq'batlh}, appropriately in two of his four chapter titles while not really abusing apostrophes much elsewhere. Marc retconned the no' Hol apostrophe in the intro to the paq'batlh, but it's an insanely arcane point of archaic Klingon orthography whose observance here seems really bizarre, particularly in view of the issues plaguing the rest of the text.

QeS 'utlh