[Tlhingan-hol] How would you feel about new Klingon morphemes? [was: New expression: Klingon for "dim sum" revealed‏]

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 07:01:12 PDT 2016

The deeply impressive part of the Klingon language, in my opinion, is that the structure of it was created in what was probably a couple months. He was up against a schedule when he came up with TKD. He didn’t add much with the addendum, and except for vocabulary, he hasn’t added much since then.

I’m very impressed that he managed to come up with this grammar that is so efficient at expressing so much. It’s easy to wish for something he didn’t come up with, but that’s true of every computer you use, every car you drive, every house you live in, every restaurant you visit, every painting you see in a museum, or any other creative thing that someone else came up with and then you come along as a consumer later and wish it was just a little better suited to this particular, unusual thing that you happen to be interested in.

I think the Klingon language is a jewel. In the few areas where it is less direct or more awkward than I’d like, I make it my personal challenge to come up with a way of efficiently expressing the idea with the language that already exists.

This is why I came up with changing the question, “Which pie do you want?” into the command {chablIj yIwIv!} Yes, Klingon doesn’t have a question word for “which”. So? It doesn’t need one.

It doesn’t need “at death”. You have {HeghDI’}. As a consumer, I prefer to focus more on using the tools of the language better, instead of wishing that the tools were better at doing things so I wouldn’t have to work quite as hard to express things.

You don’t translate an expression from one language to another. You translate the idea that became the expression in one language into an expression of the same idea in the other language, if the culture the language came from allows the idea you are trying to express.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv