[Tlhingan-hol] How would you feel about new Klingon morphemes? [was: New expression: Klingon for "dim sum" revealed‏]

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Tue Apr 26 16:16:41 PDT 2016

The greatest problem I'd encounter with new suffixes would be updating mnemonics I give to students, and I don't think any of them are very popular.  I would appreciate some vigorous handwaving about why we'd never encountered the new grammar before, though.

At this point new suffixes would have to not be very useful in order for it to be plausible that Maltz hadn't used them up to now.  That they functioned only in specialized fields of endeavour would be possible--and how's this for an idea: Maltz has been somewhat out of touch with the thrust of Klingon culture for some time, and what he doesn't know is that some scientific breakthrough back in the old wo' has moved a chunk of specialized vocabulary from an obscure, secretive science to everyday parlance, where it has taken on meanings useful to the general population.  Reference the societal use of quantum and random in English for what I mean.  Maybe there's a scientific V9 suffix that has escaped the laboratory environment to mean "just about to" and a V3 denoting rapid transition between doing and not doing a thing, derived from the verb "vibrate," once an obscure piece of physics jargon, but now applicable to cellphones and pu'beHmey.

- Qov