[Tlhingan-hol] New expression: Klingon for "dim sum" revealed

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Apr 25 07:13:46 PDT 2016

One of my regular Instagram trawls has revealed a new TKD autograph, accompanied with a new expression.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEmYRm7iJzt/

The new expression is «tIq Hom» (or possibly «tIqHom», but the poster says it's two words). It means "dim sum"; it's not clear if this is an indigenous Klingon dish resembling Terran dim sum, or a coinage that Klingons might use when encountering the phenomenon on Earth.

I do believe that the presence of «tIq» is an indication that this is an indication that this is a straight translation, because while the original meaning of "dim sum" is not exactly known, it's believed to mean either "touch the heart" or "spotted heart".

Known vocabulary suggests one possible interpretation would be "it touches the heart with the second toe", which could correspond to the "touch the heart" translation.

Or it could mean "heart runt", or "heart bone".

Or it could be a misspelling of «tIq Hot».

...or, most tantalizingly, it could be a whole new word!

I guess somebody will just have to ask Marc the next time they have the opportunity, and report back :)

Best wishes,

loghaD