[Tlhingan-hol] Garth of Izar

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 23:44:22 PDT 2016

quljIb:
> "It was a Klingon who gave me that name [Garth of Izar]."
>
> {'aySarngan} translates literally as "Inhabitant/native of Izar". Since
> Garth is human, I'm guessing the Klingon called him {gharItlh 'aySarvo'}.

Consider TKD 3.4 (the noun-noun construction): "The translation of two
nouns combined in this way... would be N2 of the N1." "Garth of Izar"
sounds more natural to English ears than "Izar-Garth".

Consider also that the translation might not be direct. For example, a
loose translation of {qIrq tera'ngan} might be "Kirk of Earth".