[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hey

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 22 07:49:52 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, April 22, 2016
>
> Klingon word: Hey
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: battle or fight against one's own group (not the supposed
> enemy)
> Source: Star Trek Into Darkness, qepHom 2013

  toH, Hey Humanpu'.  qatlh DISaH?
  Why should I care about a human killing humans? (STID)

>From a mispronunciation of {Hegh} "die" (De'vID, 11/20/2014).

KGT 57:  In addition to these general terms, there are a number of specific words relating to specific types of battle or engagement. First of all, there is a set of verbs that can each be translated clash with, encounter, engage, and the like, but these translations do not make the differences between the words clear. They are differentiated by degree, ranging from something like struggle in a minor skirmish to engage in a major melee. Arranged in ascending order of ferocity, they are: {Qor, tlhaS, vay, lul, Hargh}. If Klingons engaged in shadowboxing, {Qor} might be appropriately applied, while {Hargh} would be reserved only for situations approaching Armageddon.

KGT 47:  In parallel fashion, any specific battle is {may'}, but the concept of battle is {vIq}, often translated as "combat"... In short, the nouns {veS} (war, warfare) and {vIq} (combat) and the verb {Qoj} (wage war) all are used to refer to the ideas of warfare, combat, and making war, while the nouns {noH} (war) and {may'} (battle) and the verbs {ghob} (make war, do battle) and {Suv} (fight) are used when referring to specific, concrete instances of war, battle, and fighting. Thus it is possible to say ... {may' ghob} or {may' Suv}, meaning "He/she fights a battle", but it is not normally acceptable to say ... {vIq Suv} ("He/she fights a combat").

SEE ALSO:
che'ron  		battlefield (n)

[Can anyone suggest other related words?]

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'