[Tlhingan-hol] Because you mentioned it (Was: Expressing instrumentality)

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 08:16:55 PDT 2016

lojmIttI'wI' nuv:
> This is why I hate this construction. You, SuStel, and I don’t seem to be
> able to agree on what it means, so perhaps it’s a good idea to avoid this
> construction, unless Okrand ever gets around to explaining it better. Unless
> Voragh has evidence as to how this should be interpreted.

My impression is that there is agreement on what it means. A few
people seem to have trouble with it, but are there competing
explanations whose supporters are confident on how to use it and yet
disagree with each other?

I'd have thought that the {[wo'rIv]vaD quHDaj qawmoH [Ha'quj]} example
from SkyBox 20 settled this.

lojmIttI'wI' nuv:
> So, help me out here. If I want to say “Krankor taught Seqram the Klingon
> language,” should I say, {tlhIngan HolvaD Seqram ghojmoHta' Qanqor} or
> should I say, {SeqramvaD tlhIngan Hol ghojmoHta’ HoD Qanqor.}

quHDaj qaw wo'rIv = Worf remembers his heritage.
tlhIngan Hol ghoj Seqram = Seqram learns Klingon.

wo'rIvvaD quHDaj qawmoH Ha'quj = the sash reminds Worf of his heritage
[lit., causes Worf to remember his heritage]
SeqramvaD tlhIngan Hol ghojmoH HoD Qanqor = Capt. Krankor teaches
Seqram the Klingon language [lit., causes Seqram to learn Klingon]