[Tlhingan-hol] Because you mentioned it (Was: Expressing instrumentality)

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Apr 20 07:55:01 PDT 2016

On 4/20/2016 10:25 AM, lojmIttI'wI'nuv wrote:
> HoD HoH betleH vIra’bogh.
>
> The be’leH which I commanded killed the captain. In fact, the weapon
> killed the captain. I didn’t. But I was in control of the weapon when
> it killed him. That makes the instrumentality pretty clear, though it
> doesn’t imply the intentionality as well as {HoD vIHoHmeH betleH
> vIlo’}. Perhaps if I emphasize my role with {HoD HoH betleH vIra’bogh
> jIH}, that would recapture some of that, especially since it becomes
> appropriately ambiguous as to whether the betleH I commanded killed
> the captain, or whether I, who commanded the betleH killed the
> captain. This is one of those cases where you don’t have to
> disambiguate because it doesn’t really matter which way you see it.
> The betleH and I both killed the captain.
>
> Or consider a well placed {-ta’}, if it doesn’t offend some minute
> rule about perfective.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you bring it up...

{HoD HoH betleH vIra'bogh} says "bat'leth which I command kills
captain." I didn't command the bat'leth just once; I command it either
in general or throughout this episode. I didn't kill a captain and
that's the end of the story; the bat'leth I command might kill captains
in general, or it may be intended for killing a particular captain.
That's what this sentence says.

If I command the bat'leth in general or throughout this fight, and I
kill the captain and that's the end of the captain, then {HoD HoHpu'
betleH vIra'bogh} or {HoD HoHta' betleH vIra'bogh} or even {HoD HoH
rIntaH betleH vIra'bogh}. You NEED that perfective in there to indicate
that the action is a completed one. Otherwise it is explicitly NOT a
completed action.

And if I picked up a bat'leth for the first time, take one swing at a
captain, kill him right there, and never command that bat'leth again,
you'll want {HoD HoHpu' betleH vIra'pu'bogh}, or whichever combination
of perfective suffixes are appropriate for the situation.

> HoDvaD betleHwIj vIHoHmoH.
>
> Note that according to current interpretations of the ditransitivity
> of {-moH}, this does not imply that I killed someone else for the
> benefit of the captain. It rather directly suggests that the captain
> is the object of the transitive verb {HoH}, while {betleHwIj} is the
> subject, and the implied {jIH} is the agent of causation (my term).

Sticking {-vaD} on a "ditransitive verb" doesn't strip {-vaD} of its
meaning and make it an object. {-vaD} retains its benefactive sense,
though it may not mean "for the benefit of." It can also mean "given
to." Here, {betleHwIj} is not a subject, it is an object, and a direct
object. {jIH} is the elided subject, AS WELL as the causer. {HoDvaD} is
an indirect object.

It's a clumsy expression. While I can't quite condemn it, I have a
strong feeling that it doesn't quite say what you mean. I think the
problem is somewhere in the meaning of {-vaD}. Strictly speaking, it
satisfies the needs of this kind of construction: I (the subject) cause
killing to happen; the action is performed on (direct object) the
bat'leth; the action is received by (indirect object) the captain.

> It’s a language, not a code.

Please stop saying that. It's insulting to anyone who's honestly trying
to learn the language. The only people who treat Klingon like a code are
people who look up English-to-Klingon word-by-word and people who use
Bingon—and none of them frequent this list. Kyle's original question was
thoughtful and worthwhile, and he obviously wasn't just looking for the
codeword for "with."

http://trimboli.name