[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word Search

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Apr 7 10:51:57 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 11:55 AM, lojmIttI'wI'nuv
<lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even in the Klingon dictionary, you can’t see the difference between
> uppercase “eye” and lowercase “ell”.

That's true only of the Appendix. In the grammatical sketch and
vocabulary lists of the dictionary proper, they are distinct.

> I’m amazed that you guys are bothered
> by this. It’s one of the first things I got used to working with the
> language.

Are you aware of the context here? In a word search puzzle, displaying
different letters that you can't tell from one another is definitely a
bothersome problem.

> It’s positionally obvious which is which, even if they are identical.

I agree, except for a couple of corner cases. Is {mar!!} a name
{MARLI} or a sentence {MARIL}? I can't come up with any words fron the
lexicon that would exhibit this ambiguity, but I regularly have to
pause and do a careful inspection whenever I see {gheyIl} mentioned.

-- ghunchu'wI'