[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qav'ap

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 6 12:05:46 PDT 2016

>> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, April 06, 2016
>>
>> Klingon word: qav'ap
>> Part of speech: noun
>> Definition: value
>> Source: Klingon Monopoly (MKE), published 1 November 2011

Voragh (providing examples):

>  voHDajbo' qav'ap
>  mortgage value MKE
>
>  HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH. wa'maHlogh boq'egh
>    mI' naghmey; chen qav'ap. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.
>  If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a total ten
>    times amount shown. MKE
>
>  pIraqSIS HoS waw' ghajlu'chugh, loSlogh boq'egh mI' naghmey mI';
>    chen qav'ap
>  If Praxis Energy Facility is owned, rent is 4 times amount shown
>    on dice. MKE
>
>  Duj ghajchugh vay', cha'logh boq'egh qav'ap motlh; chen qav'ap
>    le'.  ghajwI'vaD qav'ap le' yIDIl.
>  If [ship is] owned, pay owner twice the rental to which they are
>    otherwise entitled. MKE

Looking these over it seems that {qav'ap} specifically refers to monetary value, i.e. a specific amount or sum of money (as opposed to, say, money in general).  For other non-economic types of value we have the noun {lo'} "use, worth, utility" as well as the abstract nouns {lo'laHghach} "value" (i.e. usefulness) and {lo'laHbe'ghach} "worthlessness". E.g.

  cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
  2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck.  (KBoP)

  lo' law' lojmIt
  utility hatch  (KBoP)

Note the verb {lo'} "use, make use of" - also {lo'laH} "be valuable", and {lo'laHbe'} "be worthless".

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'