[Tlhingan-hol] qolqoS?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Sep 14 06:58:12 PDT 2015

Simply search the archives:

In a message of august 02,02007, Qov wrote:

'anghalvaD, qaSpa' qep'a' mu' ghovbe'bogh 'anghal lo' Okrand. <qolqoS>
'oH. qep'a'Daq <nuq  'oS?>, ghel 'anghal. "When I told you that it
would be a small qep'a', you wrote that that was okay, at least the
qolqoS would be there. It seems to mean 'fanatical core'."
jangchu'be' Okrand, jatlh, "Perhaps not necessarily fanatical".

One day later, ghunchu'wI' added a phrase:

    QIjtaHqu' ghaH.  latlh mughmeH mu' chup: "essense"

So far the existing facts. I would say a summary of a true definition
(without any guessing) should be:

qolqoS (n.) - core (not necessarily fanatical), essence.

A quick view into Webster's.com tells me that "essence" is a synonym of
"core". Since Okrand was talking about the core of Klingon speakers/of
the KLI, we can be very sure that is the essence of something, and we
can be "mostly" sure that it is not the core of an apple or a magnetic
core, but that may be changed one day.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh