[Tlhingan-hol] Genesis

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 14:00:30 PDT 2015

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:56 PM, qunnoQ HoD <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> i'm not certain that i remember correctly,but i think i had read
somewhere that Genesis (the Bible genesis) has been translated in Klingon.
(or at least some of chapters of it)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 4:07 PM, qurgh lungqIj <qurgh at wizage.net> wrote:

> I don't know about Genesis, but the KLI's Bible Translation Project (now
the Religious Text Translation Project) has some translations listed in the
KLI Wiki:

> http://www.kli.org/wiki/Religious_Text_Translation_Project

For those that don't know, I'm coordinating the Religious Text Translation
Project (RTTP).
I have not come across a translation of Genesis, which means that it's open
for translation; volunteer today.
The rumors of its completion don't surprise me as the internet is convinced
the entire Bible has been translated.

We do, however, have the following:

TKD gives us:
 {qa'vam} n. Genesis

Festival of the Spoken Nerd gives us:

The Big Bang -- meaning the start of the universe -- is, as you once
hypothesized, {qa'vam}, the word used by Klingons for the Genesis
device.  {qa'vam} is perhaps best defined as "origin of everything" or
"start of it all" or the like.  Maltz said you could say {qa'vam nger}
"Big Bang Theory," but he thought that was weird -- the start of it
all isn't a theory, he said -- it's just the start of it all.  If one
thinks the start of it all was a big explosion and that's a theory,
then {qa'vam nger} could mean "the theory of how everything began,"
but the Klingon phrase doesn't contain the notion of explosion.  For
the TV Show -- whether to translate it or use the English -- that's up
to you.

~naHQun

--
~Michael Roney, Jr.